“A thoroughly enchanting & engaging wine, the 2016 is a little more elegant & light on its feet, more ballerina than gymnast, retaining a keen line of acidity & freshness, impressive subtlety & awesome textural finesse. This has all the markings of another truly great expression.” 96+/100 Greg Sherwood MW.
An intimate group gathered at the stunning Ellerman House for the launch of the iconic & captivating MR de Compostella. The sun was shining bright as as were our smiles in anticipation of the vertical of seriously awe-inspiring wines awaited us. .
We tasted 7 wines blind. The 2016 was lurking in the line up amoungst older vintages & a couple of surprises. Bruwer instructed us to choose a wine we would like to have with lunch; the most accessible of the line up. Then one which was most impressive to us & was the best wine in terms of quality. Then he asked us to rate the 7th wine out of a 100.
- MR 2012 Showing beautiful purity of fruit. Bursting blackberry. Soft tannins. Plush & “starting to drink beautifully”
- MR 2013. Probably the tightest & chunkiest of the line up, but showing lots of potential.
- MR 2014 Extremely accessible (highly cited as ‘lunch wine’ Displays softness of cool vintage.
- JASPER 2016. “A mini MR according to Greg Sherwood” Amazingly stood up to the iconic wines surrounding it. Most certainly wasn’t obviously a weakest wink.
- MR 2015 Great vintage for reds. A precise, confident & focused wine. Which grabs your attention & engages you.
- Chateau Mouton Rothschild 2015. Full bodied & complex. Great concentration of oak.
- MR 2016 Bruwer couldn’t have been prouder after a tough vintage that this was voted, blind, as the most impressive wine of the day. ‘The 2016 contains the highest percentage of Cab Sav ever, at 63%. It has a strict, almost broody bouquet of dense, graphite-infused black fruit. The palate is more a mixture of red & black fruit & fine-grained tannin, v.harmonious in style; touches of pencil lead appear on the precise, sustained finish.”– Neal Martin Report 2018, 94/100.
Congratulations on another world class wine Bruwer & Mzokoyna.